For the broth:
4 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, rinsed; stems separated and caps set aside* (or substitute 1 oz dried shiitake mushrooms, using half for each recipe part)
1 Tbsp garlic, minced (about 2–3 cloves)
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 stalk lemongrass, crushed (or the zest from 1 lemon: Use a peeler to grate a thin layer of skin off a lemon)
1 Tbsp ground coriander
4 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
For the meat and vegetables:
1 bag (12 oz) frozen vegetables for stir-fry
*Shiitake mushroom caps, rinsed and quartered
8 oz udon or soba noodles (or substitute angel hair pasta), cooked
1 lb lean beef top sirloin, sliced very thin
4 oz firm silken tofu, diced
¼ cup scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced thin Directions
- Thaw frozen vegetables in the microwave (or place entire bag in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes). Set aside until step 3.
- Combine all ingredients for broth, except soy sauce, in a medium-sized pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the broth through a fine wire colander, and discard the solid parts. Season to taste with soy sauce.
- To finish the soup, bring the broth back to a boil. Add the thawed vegetables and mushroom caps, and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the noodles and continue to simmer for another minute. Add the beef and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes or until the beef is slightly pink to brown (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees F). Add tofu and scallions, and simmer 1–2 minutes until heated through.
- Serve immediately in 1-cup portions.
Yield: 4 servings
(serving size is 1 cup)
Total fat 8 g
Saturated fat 3 g
Cholesterol 52 mg
Sodium 285 mg
Total fiber 4 g
Protein 36 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Potassium 882 mg