Let the celebration begin!
On Sept. 11, 1994, two local community hospitals came together to build a regional health system to serve this community. As we look back on 25 years, we reflect on all the progress, change and growth that has marked a quarter century of our existence. We have a lot to be proud of over the last two and half decades.
Here are just a few highlights among many:
- The creation of one community hospital in Augusta County, which combines the best of the two former local hospitals, King’s Daughter’s Hospital in Staunton and Waynesboro Community Hospital in Waynesboro
- Recruitment of nearly 200 physicians and advanced practice practitioners to create the multigroup primary care and specialty practice of Augusta Medical Group to care for our community
- A state-of-the art Heart and Vascular Center offering interventional cardiology, cardiac rehab and other key services
- Establishment of five Urgent Care Centers with key outpatient services in Staunton, Waynesboro, Stuarts Draft, Weyers Cave and Crozet, and an Emergency Department equipped to serve this rapidly growing area
- The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, which has partnered with the prestigious Duke Medicine for Medical Oncology
- A Women’s Imaging Center that provides 3D mammography among other advanced technologies
- A Sleep Lab, Wound Care Center, robotic surgery program and extensive network of top-flight primary care providers
There is, of course, much more to tout about Augusta Health, which you’ll read about inside this anniversary edition. Be sure to fill out the anniversary puzzle. Those who submit correct puzzles will be entered into a drawing to receive a back-to-school gift basket.
We can’t do it alone. That might be the most important takeaway of the past 25 years. Thanks to the hard work of the staff, doctors, donors, volunteers, support systems and others, Augusta Health helps people thrive. So cheers to our community from Augusta Health! Here’s to another 25 years of caring for our community.
Mary N. Mannix, FACHE
President and Chief Executive Officer