Nonstick cooking spray
3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken (breast or thigh), cubed
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium tomato, diced
7 green chilis, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
Ground black pepper to taste
- Spray a heavy iron skillet with cooking spray, and preheat over medium heat. Brown the chicken cubes, in batches, adding cooking spray as needed.
- Place the meat in a 3- or 4-quart casserole (with cover), and add the remaining ingredients.
- Deglaze the skillet: On high heat, add some cold water and scrape the hardened juices with a spoon or spatula to dissolve them into the water. Add the sauce to the casserole.
- Add water to barely cover the ingredients. Cover the casserole, and simmer until the stew is thick and the meat is very tender, about 1½ hours.
- Add black pepper to taste before serving.
- Garnish with desired toppings.
Yield: 10 servings
(serving size is ½ cup)
Total fat 5 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 82 mg
Sodium 90 mg
Total fiber 1 g
Protein 30 g
Carbohydrates 5 g